March 31, 2017
By Joanne Norell
BLACKSBURG, Va. — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team continued to improve upon its best start to Atlantic Coast Conference play since joining the league, defeating Virginia Tech 4-3 on Friday at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Irish (16-3) improved to 7-2 in ACC play and strengthened its position in the top third of the conference with five regular-season matches remaining.
How It Happened
The Irish picked up the doubles point, rebounding after losing the first doubles match on Court 1 and winning close matches on the remaining courts. Juniors Brooke Broda and Allison Miller defeated Elena Cereza-Codina and Natalie Novotna 7-6(4) at the No. 2 spot, followed by a 7-5 win by senior Jane Fennelly and freshman Zoe Spence over Nancy Ghanem and Sansitha Nandakumar.
Virginia Tech pulled even with the first decision of doubles. At the No. 1 position, No. 102 Francesca Fusinato defeated senior Monica Robinson 6-3, 6-1.
Robinson’s classmate Mary Closs regained the lead for Notre Dame, though, defeating Ghanem 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5 to improve to 11-3 on the season. Sophomore Rachel Chong extended it at 3-1 with a 7-5, 6-0 victory over Katherine Butler on Court 6.
Cereza-Codina got one back for the Hokies, defeating Miller in three sets, but Spence came through with her 15th victory of the year, winning 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-1 over Caroline Daxhelet at the No. 4 spot.
The Hokies tacked on their final point at the end when Novotna downed Broda in three sets on Court 2.
The Irish will get a week off before welcoming Duke at 4 p.m. ET on Friday, April 7, at the Courtney Tennis Center.
No. 27 Notre Dame 4, Virginia Tech 3
March 31, 2017
Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center
1. No. 102 Francesca Fusinato (VT) def. Monica Robinson (ND) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 92 Natalie Novotna (VT) def. Brooke Broda (ND) 6-1, 6-7(7), 7-6(3)
3. Elena Cereza-Codina (VT) def. Allison Miller (ND) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
4. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Caroline Daxhelet (VT) 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-1
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Nancy Ghanem (VT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Rachel Chong (ND) def. Katherine Butler (VT) 7-5, 6-0
1. Francesca Fusinato / Caroline Daxhelet (VT) def. Mary Closs / Monica Robinson (ND) 6-2
2. Brooke Broda / Allison Miller (ND) def. Elena Cereza-Codina / Natalie Novotna (VT) 7-6(4)
3. Jane Fennelly / Zoe Spence (ND) def. Nancy Ghanem / Sansitha Nandakumar (VT) 7-5