March 31, 2017
By Joanne Norell
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — For the second straight match, the University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team found itself in a last-match-on-the-court situation, but the Irish were unable to pull out the deciding point Friday in a 4-3 loss to NC State at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Last week, the Irish defeated Virginia Tech 4-3 in Blacksburg, but were unable to replicate the effort against the Wolfpack.
How It Happened
The Irish (10-7, 2-3 ACC) jumped to an early lead after doubles, picking up wins on Courts 2 and 3 to win the point. Sophomore Alex Lebedev and freshman Matt Gamble cruised to a quick 6-2 win over Nick Horton and Georgiy Malyshev at the No. 2 spot, followed by a late-break 6-4 win by sophomore Grayson Broadus and junior Brendon Kempin over Igor and Ivan Saveljic.
The Wolfpack (11-10, 2-4 ACC) wasted no time in halting the momentum, picking up the first singles point when No. 87 Nick Horton defeated 45th-ranked senior Josh Hagar 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1.
Notre Dame regained the lead, however, as freshman Guillermo Cabrera downed Michael Ogden 6-4, 6-1 for his 10th dual win of the season.
NC State answered with the next two points to go up 3-2 on the Irish. Malyshev defeated Lebedev 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4, followed by a close decision for the Wolfpack at No. 2, where Alexis Galarneau defeated senior Eddy Covalschi 7-6(1), 7-6(4).
With two matches remaining in third sets, the Irish leveled things as Gamble defeated Igor Saveljic 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.
The Irish could not recreate the three-set win at the end, however, and Ivan Saveljic broke Broadus on match point, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, with Broadus playing through apparent lower-body pain.
The Irish will return to home action on Sunday with matches against Georgia Tech (noon ET) and IUPUI (5 p.m ET).
NC State 4, No. 43 Notre Dame 3
March 31, 2017
Eck Tennis Pavilion
Notre Dame, Ind.
1. No. 87 Nick Horton (NCSU) def. No. 45 Josh Hagar (ND) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alexis Galarneau (NCSU) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND) 7-6(1), 7-6(4)
3. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Igor Saveljic (NCSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
4. Georgiy Malyshev (NCSU) def. Alex Lebedev (ND) 6-2, 6-4
5. Ivan Saveljic (NCSU) def. Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
6. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. Michael Ogden (NCSU) 6-4, 6-1
1. No. 11 Eddy Covalschi / Josh Hagar (ND) vs. Michael Ogden / Alexis Galarneau (NCSU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Matt Gamble / Alex Lebedev (ND) def. Nick Horton / Georgiy Malyshev (NCSU) 6-2
3. Grayson Broadus / Brendon Kempin (ND) def. Igor Saveljic / Ivan Saveljic (NCSU) 6-4