Jan. 27, 2017
By Joanne Norell
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team fell to seventh-ranked North Carolina 4-0 on Friday in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in a non-conference matchup at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
How It Happened
The Tar Heels won the doubles point, taking matches on Courts 1 and 2 in a tightly contested round. Notre Dame’s No. 3 pair of sophomore Grayson Broadus and junior Brendon Kempin picked up a win over Blaine Boyden and Anu Kodali, 6-4, but North Carolina’s Jack Murray and Ronnie Schneider won 6-4 over Irish freshman Matt Gamble and sophomore Alex Lebedev to even things on Court 2. The Irish and Tar Heels held serve until 5-5 on Court 1, but it was UNC’s Robert Kelly and William Blumberg who got the timely break to win 7-5 over 10th-ranked Irish seniors Josh Hagar and Eddy Covalschi.
North Carolina went up 2-0 when Kelly defeated Gamble 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 singles, while Murray defeated Broadus 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 5 slot to give the Tar Heels a 3-0 lead.
After dropping first sets on Courts 2, 3 and 6, respectively, Covalschi, Lebedev and freshman Guillermo Cabrera each rallied to force decisive third sets. The Tar Heels picked up the next decision, however, as the 38th-ranked Schneider defeated 27th-ranked Hagar 7-6(4), 6-4 at the No. 1 spot.
The Irish will face Penn State (0-1) in Saturday’s consolation match at 3:30 p.m. ET at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The Nittany Lions fell to Vanderbilt 4-0 on Friday.
No. 7 North Carolina 4, Notre Dame 0
January 27, 2017
Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center
1. No. 38 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. No. 27 Josh Hagar (ND) 7-6(4), 6-4
2. Eddy Covalschi (ND) vs. William Blumberg (UNC) 0-6, 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. No. 119 Alex Lebedev (ND) vs. Simon Soendergaard (UNC) 4-6, 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
4. Robert Kelly (UNC) def. Matt Gamble (ND) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jack Murray (UNC) def. Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-1, 6-4
6. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) vs. No. 57 Josh Peck (UNC) 6-7(4), 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
1. Robert Kelly / William Blumberg (UNC) def. No. 10 Eddy Covalschi / Josh Hagar (ND), 7-5
2. No. 43 Jack Murray / Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. Matt Gamble / Alex Lebedev (ND), 6-4
3. Grayson Broadus / Brendon Kempin (ND) def. Blaine Boyden / Anu Kodali (UNC) 6-4