FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 19, 2016
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — Indiana State Baseball (23-13, 4-2 MVC) is currently holding the second spot in the MVC rankings after winning its first two series’ of Valley play. Most recently, the Sycamores hosted Illinois State, taking two of three close games at home. The Sycamores gear up for a one-game, midweek tilt at Purdue (5-27, 1-11 Big Ten) on Wednesday, April 20 at 6:00 p.m. ET. The Sycamores hosted the Boilermakers earlier in the season, when junior Weston Rivers pitched the team to a 4-1 win.
Ward With The W
Freshman Tyler Ward worked his way into the starting rotation earlier in the season, making his presence in the Valley known. Ward improved himself to 5-3 after Sunday’s tight game against Illinois State in which the Sycamores came out on top by one run. In the win, Ward was one inning shy of a complete game. The freshman had a stellar day on the mound, giving up only three hits, striking out five Redbirds, and walking none. Overall, Ward holds the top ERA for starting pitchers with a 2.81. Out of 48 total innings pitched, the righty has only walked six and has struck out 26.
Senior Andy DeJesus posted one of his best outings this season throughout this past weekend’s series with Illinois State. DeJesus had a flawless game on Sunday, going 4-for-4 at the plate and scoring the go-ahead run to secure the series win. In Saturday’s game, the senior second baseman went 3-for-4 with a RBI. Over the weekend, DeJesus went 7-for-12, good enough for a .583 batting average and 1.000 slugging percentage. DeJesus notched his third and fourth triples of the season, added a double, a RBI, and two runs scored.
– The Sycamore pitching staff currently ranks 2nd in the MVC and 47th in the nation with a combined ERA of 3.49.
– Indiana State’s defense is top in the Valley and ranks 8th in the nation with a .981 fielding percentage.
– ISU currently sits 46th in the nation with hit by pitches as Hunter Owen, Kaden Moore, and Andy Young all share the 40th individual spot with 10.
– Hunter Owen is 3rd in the MVC with a .368 batting average, tied for 1st in the hits category with 53, and 2nd in doubles with 14, ranking him 24th nationally.
– Senior Andy DeJesus ranks 22nd in the nation in the triples category with four, as two came from this past weekend’s series performance.
– Junior Ryan Keaffaber‘s two complete games puts him 5th in innings pitched per game and 27th in the nation under the complete games tab.
– Indiana State turned a triple play on Friday night, the first since the 2012 season.
– Sunday’s pitching staff did not walk a batter for the first time since the 2013 season.
– Sophomore Jeremy McKinney now owns five of the team’s eight saves on the mound.
A Little History
The Sycamores lead the all-time series 37-29-2, with the first meeting between the two schools in April of 1902.
Scouting The Competition
Headlining the hitters will be Kyle Johnson (.328, 43 hits, 9 doubles, 5 home runs, 25 RBIs), Kyle Wood (.264, 28 RBIs, 10 home runs, 8 doubles), and Cody Strong (.312, 34 hits, 8 doubles, 18 walks). Pitching for the Boilers will be freshman RHP Jacob Preston who has not made an appearance yet this season.
Wednesday’s game can be found on BTN Plus (PPV), and stats can be followed on GoSycamores.com. Listen to Wednesday’s game live on WIBQ 1230 AM.